Friday, March 20, 2009

On; Wow, I have a costume blog.

I finally took the dive, to make myself a costume blog. I've been meaning to do it, but kept selling myself stupid excuses like..you dont have a camera, or a wacom tablet, or computer drawing skills. But i DO have a scanner, and a bunch of paper and pencils. Good enough. I can color them on paintshop pro second, because I roll old school.
Anyhow, since I started this a little late, instead of right when i started costuming, I will post pictures and link of the costumes that I have completed already.
Enjoy my blog! And please PLEASE feel free to comment to your hearts content!! In turn I will peruse your blog. Cause I'm a giver. These gowns are not in date order.

My first victorian gown, made for Dickens Christmas Fair of 2008. This gown was made on a SERIOUS budget. All of the fabric was purchased at walmart or scrapped from other dressed. The fashion fabric was a stripped cotton, and was actually very heavy. All in all, the gown was a wreck, and i couldn't stand it. It doesnt exist anymore. The only thing I loved were the pagoda sleeves, as the trimming came out very nice. Unfortunately, no pictures remain, but I will draw it.



My second ren gown that I ever tackled was a blue and gold brocade with gold on gold brocade accents. I included a pillbox hat with pearls around the crown. THAT was a nightmare. So were the sleeves, all in all; however, the gown came out quite nicely. I wore it two ways, full nobles for Folsom Faire 08 shown here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stilllooped/2977170664/in/set-72157608357195493/

[unfortunately I cannot get a picture picture.]

And for halloween I ventured to make a flatcap, and wore it without the sleeves and just my chemise underneath;



Full body;


My FIRST ren gown, and the FIRST thing I had ever sewn in my life was a beautiful red and gold and green nobles gown. This is the second time I had chance to wear it, at Faire Oaks Faire of 08. Unfortunately, these are also only links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stilllooped/2673279950/in/set-72157606195130335/

Best full body I could come up with. I wore this gown for one weekend of Valhalla, debuting my ren faire career, and in faire oaks. Yes. The hat is terrible. I made a new one. Now, when faire oaks faire rolled around, I had completed my blues and golds, and was very very proud of it, so i saw my reds....and sighed. They were not up to par!! So what do you do then?
OVERHAUL. This is now what my reds look like. Sorry, another link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stilllooped/2976894767/in/set-72157608408206407/

Completely changed the shoulder treatment, the sleeves, made a new hat. Its a totally different gown!!! You can't see it, but there is alot of extra hand beading, and there is a white pearl fabric hemguard, which got destroyed..but looked nice! And who is that next to me? Why that is My partner in crime!!! LR. Gotta love her. She is a LIFESAVER when it comes to costuming, and has had many a random late night HELP ME call.

Next we have The crisis that was my first 18th century gown. This is how it started. Draped a nice pattern. Made it tighter and double breasted. It looked very nicely liek this (the hoops were a stupid idea.)




Now, thats a very nice gown. Right?
I sure as hell didnt think so. So the night before I completely ripped apart the bodice. And made this train wreck.


Zone front gowns are hard. Note; Do not EVER redo a gown the night before. Fail.


That is what I have accomplished so far. Currently I am working on a steampunk outfit. Which all things considered is coming along rather nicely. Pictures of that for another post. Including concept drawing!!



M. W.


2 comments:

  1. You mentions me! You're so sweet! Remember, awesome fashion steampunk photography in April...be ready...be dressed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great costumes!! The most I can ever do is use Halloween wigs to transform myself. My friends and I have theme dinner parties so having your talent would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete